1. Mix yolks well with sugar.
2. Put cream in a double saucepan, bring to scalding point then allow to cool.
3. Pour cream mixture over egg yolk mixture, blending well.
4. Add vanilla essence and then return to the saucepan and thicken carefully over the heat stirring constantly.
TIP - Don't let it boil. You can tell when its ready because the cream mixture will cover and stick to the back of a spoon.
5. Put some raspberries (1 punnet) into a glass bowl and then strain in the cream mixture.
6. Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
7. When cool and set - dust surface with caster sugar (I then found this cooks blow torch which I use to caramelise the sugar - its fab) - Put back into the fridge to cool
- If you dont have a cook's blow torch then put the creme brulee under the grill to brown - but put it in a dish with ice so you dont cook the custard!