1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Reduce the heat by 20° if using a fan-assisted electric oven.
2. Trim the meat of fat and cut into 1½ cm slices if using fillet. Toss the meat in the seasoned flour.
3. Skin, split, core and slice the kidneys, if using.
4. Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into 5mm slices.
5. Butter a large casserole dish and line the bottom with a layer with half of the potatoes. Season well.
6. Layer the meat, sliced onions, carrots and kidneys on top of the potatoes, seasoning well with the chopped thyme and with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7. Pour the Heinz Lentil Soup and the water over the ingredients and finally finish the dish with a neat layer of sliced potatoes overlapping each other.
8. Cover the casserole with a lid and cook in the centre of the oven for approximately two hours.
9. Remove the lid and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes, until the potatoes are brown and crisp and the meat is completely tender.
*Images are for illustration only. Dishes shown in the pictures marked with an asterix have not necessarily been made using Heinz Soups.
|Cold Water||150 Ml|
|400g Cans Heinz Lentil Soup||2|
|Chopped Fresh Thyme||1 Tbsp|
|Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper|
|Large Carrots. Peeled And Cut Into 1cm Pieces On The Diagonal||2|
|Large Onions. Peeled And Thinly Sliced||2|
|Lambs Kidneys (optional)||2|
|Plain Flour. Seasoned With Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper||2 Tbsp|
|Lamb (either Loin Chops Or. More Economically. Neck Fillet)||675g|