1. Wash the rice in several changes of water and then leave to soak in a large bowl of cold water for 30 minutes.
2. In a large pan add plenty of boiling water and add the whole spices and saffron.
3. Drain the rice and add to the pan, stirring well before adding the salt.
4. Stir again and add the vegetable oil.
5. Bring back to the boil and allow to cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes. The rice should have a little bite to it before you remove from the heat and drain the water. Remove the whole spices before serving if you wish.
|Star Anise (optional)||1-2|
|Black Cardamom Pods (optional)||2|
|Green Cardamom Pods||4|
|Vegetable Oil||2 Tablespoons|
|Cumin Seeds||1-2 Teaspoons|
|Saffron||Good Pinch Of|
|Salt, To Taste|
Chutneys are an amazingly varied array of sweet, tangy or hot condiments. They originally hailed from India as a type of preserve as an alternative to the subcontinent’s scarcity of sugar. Today, ... keep reading
Lord Karan Bilimoria founded Cobra Beer in 1989. He launched Cobra Beer when he realised that Britain deserved a better, smoother, less gassy lager. Not just smoother, but one which complemented food, and could appeal to both ale and lager drinkers alike.