MAKES APPROXIMATELY 5-6 JARS
1. Weigh SUGAR into ovenproof dish and warm in oven for 15 minutes at 130 degrees C / 250 degrees F.
2. Wash APPLES and cut into quarters. Remove the centre and pips, thinly peel then cut into small chunks.
3. Squeeze LEMON (need approx. 4 tablespoon of juice).
4. Check BRAMBLES for insects, removing with care, and any unwanted organic matter. No need to wash if freshly picked in clean environment.
5. Lightly cook the APPLES and BRAMBLES in 1/2 PINT WATER in big pot or jam pan.
6. Cover with lid and simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Remove lid and add warmed SUGAR, stirring gently to dissolve but not to break up the fruit.
8. Use maximum heat to fast boil for 10 minutes.
9. Add LEMON JUICE and fast boil for another minute. Remove from heat and test for set by putting a drop on a cold plate to see if a skin has formed which wrinkles. If not setting, boil for another 3-5 minutes and check again. Be careful not to overcook - usually sets well overnight.
10. Remove from heat and stir occasionally for skin to dissolve.
11. Let cool while the jars and lids are warmed in the oven for 15 minutes at 100 degrees C / 200 degrees F.
12. Use heatproof jug or ladle to measure out jam into jars. Fill to near the top. Screw the lids on tightly with a dry kitchen cloth to protect hands from the heat. Turn upside down, then upright again, to vacuum seal for freshness.