1. Mix SEMOLINA in heatproof jug with some cold SOYA MILK to make a thick cream consistency.
2. Heat SOYA MILK gently to near boiling.
3. Pour enough hot SOYA MILK into jug, blend into semolina mix then pour back into pan and stir over medium heat until it begins to thicken.
4. Add SUGAR and SALT, check taste adjusting to preference (in Thai cooking, a balance of salt and sugar is often used to enhance flavour).
5. Stir in a knob of MARGARINE and leave to continue to thicken on a very low heat for a few minutes.
6. Serve hot. Goes well with JAM, SOAKED PRUNES or SLICED BANANA (plus a wee helping of SWEDISH GLACE DAIRY FREE ICECREAM!)
| VEGAN MARGARINE (optional)
|| ½ OZ
| SEA SALT
|| 1 - 1½ TSP
| DEMERARA SUGAR
|| 2-3 LEVEL TBS
| YELLOW SEMOLINA
|| 3 TBSP
| SOYA MILK
|| 1½ PINTS
Hints 'n' Tips
* Use COCONUT MILK diluted 1:1 with water or stronger for very creamy semolina. It thickens as it sits so avoid over-thick at beginning.
* Can be eaten as a cold milk jelly the next day, it sets into the shape poured into while warm.
* Yellow Semolina is used in this recipe available from wholefood shops. SOYA MILK is sweetened variety (Tesco's, Holland & Barrett and Sainsbury's own brand soya milks are good).
* Second day semolina can be reheated by steaming in a pudding bowl.