Bakewell tart recipes
Our top 3 of 7 Bakewell tart recipes
- Quick & Easy Bakewell Tart
- Raspberry Bakewell Cake
- Bakewell Tart
- Recent recipes
- View all 7 variations
Because the pastry is not blind baked before hand, make sure you have heated the baking tray first and bake the cake on this to ensure the base is fully cookd with the rest of the dish. This is a wonderful cake eaten alone, yet it is so much better with vanilla ice cream or home made custard.
5 CommentsAdd comment
- 1 pkt Ready made Shortcrust Pastry
- 4 tbsp Raspberry Jam
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 115g/4oz caster sugar
- 115g/4oz Unsalted Butter. Melted
- 50g/2oz Ground Almond
- A few drops of Almond Essence
- Icing Sugar to dust
- 1) Pre-heat your oven to 200c/400f/Gas 5.
- Open out and roll if needed the ready made pastry, and line a 7"/18cm loose based flan tin, making sure you overlap the pastry over the edges to reduce shrinkage.
- 2) Spread the jam over the base of the pastry giving even coverage. (Use more if needed or desired).
- 3) Whisk the eggs and yolks together with the sugar until thick and pale.
- 4) Gently stir in the butter, ground almond and the almond essence and pour into the pastry dish.
- 5) Put the flan dish in the centre of the oven on a pre-heated baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the pastry is fully cooked.
- 6) Once removed allow to cool slightly on a wire wrack then dust with icing sugar, turn out onto a plate and serve warm.
If you don't like that many raspberries, try just sprinkling a few rather than the whole 250g, Iv'e narrowed it down to approx 12-15 medium raspberries (according to my taste) Also iv'e made this into a birthday cake bonanza before now. Make two of the cakes (omitting the flaked almonds on top) and while cooling whip some double cream together with the zest of a medium orange and a little orange juice. Spread 3/4 of the cream in between the two sponges and the rest on top, arrange a few raspberries and roasted flaked almonds for decoration (see other image)
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 140g/5oz Ground Almond
- 140g/5oz unsalted butter softened
- 140g/5oz Golden Sugar
- 140g/5oz Self Raising Flour. SIfted
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250g/9oz Fresh Raspberries
- 2 tbsp Roasted Flaked Almonds
- Icing Sugar to dust
- 1) Heat ovan to 180/Gas 4, grease and line 20cm cake tin.
- 2) Cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, add the eggs one at a time, mixing well with each then add the vanilla and ground almond.
- 3) Gently fold in the flour and mix until just combined. Spread half the thick batter into the cake tin and sprinkle the raspberries evenly, cover with the rest of the mixture (you might need to use your fingers as the mix will be quite thick) Don't worry about covering every bit of the raspberries, they won't burn if peeking through a little, and also adds to the look of the finished cake.
- 4) Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake in the centre of the ovan for 50 mins. The top will look golden brown and firm to the touch.
- 5) cool in the tin for 5-10 mins then turn out onto a cooling wrack and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve warm with ice cream, or cold with a little whipped cream.
- THE FILLING
- 2 tblsps Apricot Jam
- 50g Mixed dried Peel (optional) recommended
- 50g Butter
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 15g S.R Flour
- 1 medium Egg
- 50g Ground Almond
- Few drops Almond Essence
- 40g Blanched Split Almonds
- THE PASTRY LINING
- Shortcut Pastry. using 150g plain Flour or ready rolled
- Use a 18cm flan tin and line with the pastry and spread the Jam over the base, remove to the Fridge while you make the filling.
- 1. Simply blend the rest of filling ingredient together (EXCEPT THE BLANCHED ALMONDS)
- 2. Take the Pastry lined flan tin from the fridge and pour
- in the filling, smooth it out. Scatter on the Blanched Almonds and bake for 10-15 mins at 190 degrees centigrade.