Our top 3 of 3 Baklava recipes
- 8ozs Unsalted butter melted
- 1 Ib Almonds or pistachio or walnuts chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 12 ozs Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 8 ozs Water
- 4 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 pack Filo pastry
- 1. Make the syrup by boiling the water and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is thick and viscous. Add the lemon juice and honey and remove from the heat to cool. When cool refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2. Brush a 9"x13" pan with butter and lay half the filo sheets on it, brushing each sheet individually with melted butter before adding the next sheet.
- 3. Spread a quarter of the nuts that have been mixed with the ground cinnamon over the sheets of filo and then layer half the remaining sheets on top, again brushing each sheet individually with melted butter.
- 4. Then sprinkle over the rest of the chopped nuts and repeat with the rest of the filo pastry.
- 5. Using a sharp knife, cut through the baklava diagonally into diamond shapes. It is important to ensure it is well cut or it will be difficult to serve and eat when cooked.
- 6. Place the baklava in a preheated oven 350F/180C and bake until golden brown - approximately half an hour.
- 7. Remove from the oven and pour the iced syrup over the baklava immediately, particularly on the slashes.
- 8. Allow to cool before serving.
- 32 ounces mixture of nuts, any ..I used almonds and pistachios
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ½ tsp groung cardamom
- 1 cup brown sugar
- one of 2 packs filo pastry (any, I used jus rol)
- a whole block Butter
- ½ jug honey
- 3 tblsp rose syrup (or to taste)
- Combine nuts in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped
- Add in sugar, cardamom, cinnamon
- Mix well
- In a small oven tray lay out one filo sheet, cut it so its over the side abit. Then brush with melted butter. And spread about 2 tblsps of the nut mixture on it till its spread. Keep repeating this, till you reach near the top of the tray. Then butter the last filo sheet and put lots of nut mixture. Put it in the fridge for about 15-30 mins (optional). Then put in oven for approx 30 mins till its brown at the top. Then take out oven. Let it cool.
- In a jug mix the honey and rose syrup..don't add too much rose syrup. And once the baklava is cool, cut it into squares, then pour over it the honey mixture, let it soak for about 10 mins. Then take out of the tray and serve.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 1 pkt Filo pastry
- 200g raw almonds
- 5ml Cinnamon
- 1 bottle fruit mince
- 250g melted butter
- For the syrup
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cups sugar
- 50ml honey
- 115ml lemon juice
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1) Before you start with the baklava, make the syrup so that it can cool. Mix all ingredients for syrup in a pan and boil on slow heat for 10 minutes and leave to cool.
- 2) Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- 3) Grease the Pyrex (I prefer to use a glass see through one so you can see when the pastry is cooked)
- 4) Mix the crushed nuts with cinnamon powder.
- ,5) Cut the filo pastry sheets so they are the size of your dish.
- 6) Start to layer a sheet of pastry, brush with melted butter then spread some fruit mince over, then another layer of filo, brush with butter and sprinkle some of the nut mixture over. Continue to layer, alternating between the fruit mince and nut mixture until you have reached your desired amount of layers - I did approx 8 layers in total.
- 7) Cut the baklava before putting it in the oven. It can be tricky trying to get the perfect diamond shape, so it may be worth practising on a piece of paper beforehand. Basically you slice straight vertical parallel lines, and then at an horizontal angle the other lines, to create lots of little diamonds.
- 8) Bake in oven for approx 30 minutes or until golden.
- 9) Take the baklava out of the oven and pour over the syrup immediately, its very important for the cooled syrup to be poured over the boiling baklava.
- 10) Leave to cool and enjoy with a cup of tea and some cream or ice-cream