Banoffee pie recipes
Our top 3 of 17 Banoffee pie recipes
When boiling the tin do not pierce it and don't panic it won't explode). Also don't let the pan boil dry either. When I open the tin after boiling I cover the tin and opener with a tea towel otherwise you may have caramel over your kitchen (it's only happened to me once).
8 CommentsAdd comment
- FOR THE BASE:
- 3½oz butter, melted
- 9oz digestive biscuits
- FOR THE CARAMEL:
- 397g can Carnation Condensed Milk
- 4 Bananas
- 284ml carton double cream lightly whipped
- to taste cocoa powder or shavings for decoration
- TO MAKE THE BASE
- You will also need a 20cm (8inch)loose-bottomed cake tin greased and based lined.
- Crush the biscuits until like fine crumbs then tip into a bowl.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Press the mixture into the base and 4cm (1½in) up the sides of the tin.
- Chill the base while you make the filling.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING
- Put the tin in a pan of boiling water and boil for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- The carefully remove the tin from the water and allow to cool slightly, not too much and open carefully with a tin opener.
- Spread the filling over the biscuit base, and then leave to chill for about 1 hour, until firm.
- ASSEMBLING THE PIE
- Remove the pie from the tin and place on a serving plate.
- Slice the bananas and fold half of them into the softly whipped cream and spoon over the toffee base.
- Decorate with the remaining bananas and dust liberally with the cocoa or grated chocolate shavings.
5 CommentsAdd comment
- 2 x 400ml/ 14 fl oz cans sweetened condensed milk
- 6 tbsp Melted butter/ plus extra for greasing
- 150g/ 5 ½ oz Digestive buscuits/ crused into crumbs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 75g/ 2 ¾ oz chocolate grated
- 450ml/ 16 fl oz Thick double whipped cream
- 50g/ 1 ¾ oz Almonds toasted and ground
- 4 Ripe Bananas
- 50g/ 1¾ oz Shelled hazelnuts toasted and ground
- 1. Place the cans of milk in a large saucepan and cover them with water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Ensure that the water is topped up regulary to keep the cans covered. Carefully lift out the hot cans and leave to cool.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centegrade or gas mark 4. Grease a 23-cm/9-inch flan tin Put the butter into a bowl and add the biscuits and nuts. Mix together well, then press mixture evenly into the base and sides of the flan tin. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove from oven and leave to cool.
- 3. Peel and slice the bananas and put them into a bowl. Sprinkle over the lemon juice and vanilla essence and mix gently. Spread the banana mixture over the biscuit crust in the tin, then open the cans of condensed milk and spoon the contents over the bananas. Sprinkle over 50g/1 and a quarter oz of the chocolate, then top with a thick layer of whipped cream. Scatter over the remaining chocolate and serve.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 9oz Digestive biscuits. finely crushed
- 4oz Butter
- For filling
- 4oz Butter
- 4oz Light Soft Brown Sugar
- 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ pint double cream
- 2 Bananas, sliced
- 1.melt the butter for the base, in a saucepan, then stir in the crushed biscuits.
- 2.press the base mixture into the base and sides of you tin.
- 3.leave to chill for 30 minutes.
- 4.place the butter and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat, and stir until the butter has fully melted.
- 5.add the condensed milk and gently bring to the boil,meanwhile stirring continuously.
- 6.boil the butter,sugar and condensed milk for 5 minutes,stirring until it's a pale caramel colour.
- 7.pour over the chilled biscuit base and chill for 1 hour.
- 8.whip the cream with an electric whisk until it forms soft peaks.
- 9.arrange the banana slice over the toffee, then spoon the whipped cream on top.
- 10. you could decorate your pie with extra sliced banana and some grated milk chocolate.