Beetroot soup recipes
Our top 3 of 4 Beetroot soup recipes
- 1 onion halved
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- a little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12oz (350g) beetroot, peeled and halved
- 1 potato halved
- 4 desert apples peeled and cored
- 2¾ pints (1.5 litres) hot vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1-2 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley, chives, dill, coriander or a mixture
- 7oz (200g) CrÃ¨me Fraiche
- 1) Grate the onion and garlic in a food processor. Heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat, add the onion garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook gently, stirring once or twice, for 5 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile grate the beetroot, potatoes and apples in the food processor.
- 2) Add the beetroot, potatoes and apples to the pan and stew gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until the beetroot is cooked through.
- 3) Blend with a hand blender or transfer to a food processor and whiz. You may need to do this in batches. Season with the sugar, lemon juice and some salt and pepper.
- 4) Stir the chopped herbs into the crème Fraiche, then ladle the soup into warm bowls and drop a spoonful of crème Fraiche into the middle of the soup.
- 450g Fresh beetroot
- 225g Onion finely chopped
- 2 pints (1.2 litres) Vegetable stock
- to taste Orange juice
- to taste Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Natural yoghurt or creme fraiche
- to garnish Flat leaf parsley
- 1. To prepare the beetroot, remove the leaves and snip of the stalks. Don’t cut of the crown and base – this will loose their flavour. Wash under cold water being careful not to pierce their skins.
- 2. Boil the beetroot in their skins for about 20 minutes. Take care not to over-cook them, check by using a knife. They should be easy to pierce with a skewer once cooked.
- 3. Drain the beetroot, allow to cool slightly and then rub off the skins. Chop into small pieces and put to one side.
- 4. Heat up some olive oil and gently fry the chopped onions until soft. Add the beetroot to the onion and cook for a further two minutes.
- 5. Add the stock so that it covers the vegetables by an inch or so, season with salt and pepper and slowly cook for 30 minutes.
- 6. Put in a blender and blitz, gradually adding the orange juice at intervals, tasting all the time until just right for your taste and consistency.
- 7. Season with salt and pepper and finish with a swirl of natural yoghurt or crème fraiche and garnish with flat leaf parsley.
- 8. Serve with some crusty wholemeal bread for a hearty lunch
- 1 cup cooked beets peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup onion neatly chopped
- 1 medium sized potato cooked peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup plain natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill finely chopped
- ½ cup cucumber peeled and finely chopped
- Pinch salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1) Combine the beets, onion, potato, lemon juice, salt and pepper, chicken broth and yoghurt.
- 2) Put into a blender and blend on high until a smooth, soupy texture.
- 3) Add the cucumber and blend a touch.
- 4) Taste and add seasoning.
- 5) Serve chilled, garnished with the dill.