Our top 3 of 5 Bobotie recipes
Tastes great served with rice and Mrs Balls chutney.
- 1 lb minced lamb (shoulder)
- 1 tbsp curry paste
- 2 tbsp fruit chutney
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 7 fl. ozs. warm water
- 3 ozs. creamed coconut
- 1-2 Bay Leaves
- 2 eggs
- 1 large onion
- salt and pepper
- 1. Fry onion in oil until soft.
- 2. Add mince and wait until it browns.
- 3. Stir in curry paste, fruit chutney and lemon juice. Cook for 5 mins.
- 4. transfer to ovenproof dish.
- 5. Cook for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 6. Dissolve coconut in water. Mix in eggs.
- 7. Pour coconut and egg mixture over the dish and add bay leaves on top.
- 8. Cook for 30 mins until set and brown.
- 2 slices bread (slightly stale)
- 25 ml cooking oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 100ml sultanas or raisins
- 25ml cumin seeds
- 25ml curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 ml butter
- 350ml milk
- 5 to 10ml salt
- 25ml chutney
- 15ml apricot jam
- 5ml tumeric
- 25ml vinegar
- 1000g minced beef or lamb
- 15ml Worcester sauce
- 3 eggs
- to taste bay leaves
- to taste almonds nuts (optional )
- 1. Heat the oil and butter.
- 2. Brown the onion and garlic.
- 3. Add cumin seeds, curry powder, salt, chutney, jam, Worcester sauce, tumeric and vingar.
- 4. Stir fry spices on low heat.
- 5. Soak bread in milk.
- 6. Add the mince and allow to brown off.
- 7. Pour the milk excess off bread.
- 8. Set the milk aside.
- 9. Add the bread to meat mixture.
- 10. Add the sultanas.
- 11. Slowly mix and turn untill cooked - don't overcook.
- 12. Beat and then add 1 of the eggs.
- 13. Mix all together well.
- 14. Place the mixture into a well greased baking dish.
- 15. Beat other 2 eggs together with milk.
- 16. Pour the egg-milk mixture over the meat as a topping.
- 17. Place the bay leaves decoratively on top.
- 18. Bake in the oven for 50to 60 minutes at 180 C.
- This dish is best served with traditional yellow rice. In South Africa they also garnish with sliced banana, coconut, chopped tomatoes and onions.
- 1kg Minced Beef (Optional)
- i medium onion finely chopped onion
- 125ml (½ cup) seedless raisins
- 125ml (½ cup) blanched almonds. chopped
- 12.5ml (1 tablespoon) apricot jam
- 12.5ml (1 tablespoon) fruit chutney ie: mango / peach
- 1 slice white bread
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) butter or oil
- 3 eggs
- 250ml milk
- 25ml lemon juice
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) curry powder
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 10ml (2 teaspoons) salt
- Soak the bread in half the milk (125ml milk), squeeze to remove the milk and mix the bread with the minced beef.
- Mix in all the other ingredients except the butter or oil, eggs, milk & bay leaves.
- Melt the butter or heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat mixture lightly in it. Turn out into a casserole dish.
- Beat the eggs and the rest of the milk together and pour over the meat.
- Garnish with the bay leaves.
- Bake in the oven at 180' until set. (about 50 minutes)