Our top 3 of 5 Borscht recipes
- 2 Onions
- 2 celery sticks
- 2 Carrots
- 8 beetroots, scrubbed
- ¼ head of red cabbage
- small bunch fresh parsley. chopped
- small bunch fresh dill chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 fresh black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1. Roughly chop all the ingredients and place in a large pan with 1 pint of water. Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Remove from heat and liquidise until smooth. Add more water if too thick.
- 3. Stir in the vinegar.
- 4. Serve with sour cream, fresh dill and black pepper.
- 2 ¼ lbs Beetroots
- 1 lb Carrots
- 8 Shallots
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1Stick Celery
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Enough to Vegetable Stock
- 1. Peel and roughly chop vegetables. Place in a large pan with the bay leaf.
- 2. Cover with the stock. Bring to a rapid boil.
- 3. Cover pan and allow to simmer for about 1 hour or until the vegetables are tender.
- 4. Remove bay leaf and liquidise soup until smooth, adjust the seasoning.
- 5. Pass the soup through a medium sieve to remove any bits.
- 6. Reheat gently, do not allow to boil, or serve chilled but either hot or cold add soured cream and a lovely summer's evening.
If you're not a fan of gnawing bones or de-scumming soup (as I'm not) then the streaky rashers option is for you. Cut them into chunks before adding. Stir in some single cream before eating, or yoghurt if you prefer a healthier option
- 1 lb Pork Spare Ribs or Thick Streaky Rashers
- 1 lb Raw beetroot
- 1 lb Onions
- 1 lb Carrots
- 1 Leek
- 1 Stick of Celery
- 8 cups Water
- To taste Veg stock powder or cubes
- 1 tsp Crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Wine Vinegar
- 1 dsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1. Peel and coarsely chop all veg.
- 2. Boil spare ribs, veg, stock and pepper and simmer for 2 hours. Remove any scum that forms towards the end of this process.
- 3. At end of cooking blend flour with a little cream (or milk) and stir into soup off the boil.
- 4. Finally add vinegar, sugar and ketchup.