Braised red cabbage recipes
Our top 3 of 12 Braised red cabbage recipes
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Red wine
- ¾ cup Water
- 3 tablespoons raw or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon seeded mustard
- ½ cup sultanas
- ½ red cabbage. shredded
- ground black pepper
- Mix the first six ingredients together in a large saucepan, then add the cabbage. Bring to a simmer, put the lid on and cook for about 20 mins. You will ned to check it occasionally to give it a stir, and add a little more water if needed. When it is ready, most of the liquid will have reduced and the cabbage should be cooked but still have a hint of crunch. Grind over black pepper before serving.
- This dish reheats well and is often better the next day.
- 1 red cabbage
- ½ onion
- 1 apple
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar (brown is ideal. but castor is fine)
- nutmeg. salt and pepper to season
- Shred the red cabbage, discarding the outer leaves and stem.
- Finely slice an onion, and cut an apple into small cubes.
- Mix the cabbage, onion and apple together with the vinegar, sugar, 2 tbsp of water. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Put the mixture in an oven-proof dish with a lid, cover and cook at 200C (Gas Mark 6) for 1.5 hours, checking every 30 minutes. If the cabbage is looking too dry, add another tbsp of water.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 apples peeled. cored and chopped
- 800g red cabbage
- 3 tbsp. wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1. Preheat the oven to 150.
- 2. Melt the butter and gently fry the onion and apple for a couple of minutes.
- 3. Add all the remaining ingredients with 100ml water and stir well to mix.
- 4. Pour into a casserole dish.
- 5. Cook covered for 1 hour.