Our top 3 of 10 Buttercream recipes
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 250g Icing Sugar
- 1. Place butter into a large bowl and mix in the icing sugar gradually on a slow speed until incorporated. Turn the mixer up to a high speed and beat well for 2-5 minutes or until the icing is pale and fluffy.
- 2. Add 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract (or other flavouring) and colour if desired.
- This icing can be stored wrapped up air tight in the fridge until the use by date of your butter.
- 55g unsalted butter
- 200g icing sugar
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Using a wooden spoon, cream the butter with half the sugar and the salt. Add the remaining sugar alternately with the cream. Add the vanilla essence (or any other flavourings/colourings.
- This makes enough for top and sides of approx. 23cm cake or 24 cupcakes.
I recommend using a stand mixer for this buttercream recipe. Wipe the bottom of the heat proof bowl before you transfer it to the mixer. To ensure no water drips in the mixture. The recipe is very versatile and can be made sweeter if needed.
- 4 lg egg whites
- 12 tablespoons Caster sugar (normal or golden)
- 26 tablespoons Butter at room temperature
- 1-2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- This recipe will make enough Buttercream to ice and fill a 9 inch cake.
- Whisk the egg whites and sugar in a spotlessly clean heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering hot water.
- Lightly whisk until all of the sugar granules have dissolved.
- Test the mixture with your fingers.
- Transfer the mixture into a stand mixer and mix on med to high speed until the mixture turns white and satiny and has doubled in size. (like a meringue)
- It's ready when the mixture forms a peak rather then drips off the back on of a spoon/ mixer whisk.
- Add the vanilla (although at this point you can lessen the vanilla and use another flavour or flavours of choice)
- Mix until combined.
- Next turn the mixer on medium speed and add the butter 1 tblspn at a time.
- Be patient the buttercream mixture will look a little questionable (curdy) at first but keep mixing.
- The buttercream mixture will take at least 10 mins to come together so mix, mix, mix.
- The buttercream mixture should have a creamy mayo like consisitancy when it's ready.