Butternut squash soup recipes
Our top 3 of 30 Butternut squash soup recipes
- Spicy Butternut Squash & Potato Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Thai Butternut Squash Soup
- Recent recipes
- View all 30 variations
- ½ large white onion peeled and diced
- 1 Butternut Squash Peeled and chopped
- 3 Potatoes. peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 Carrot Peeled and Chopped
- 800ml chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- salt and pepper to season
- 100-150ml milk
- Gently cook the onion in a littlle olive oil over a low heat until softened but not brown.
- Add the chopped squash, potato and carrot, cover with the made up Chicken or Vegetable stock.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon and chilli powder
- Season with a little salt and pepper
- Bring to the boil then cook on a medium heat for 20-30 mins
- Leave the soup to cool slightly and then puree with a stick blender.
- Return to the heat add 100-150ml of milk depending on how thick your soup is or how thick you like it.
- When heated check the seasoning, adjust if necessary and serve.
- I like it with homemade or shop bought wholemeal or granary bread.
- 40g Butter or margarine
- 500g Butternut squash
- 50g Carrots (chopped)
- 80g Leeks. sliced
- 50g Onion chopped
- 1 Clove crushed
- ¼ Teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Cloves of garlic. crushed
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 150g Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon of flour
- 200ml milk
- to taste Salt and pepper
- Warm the butter or margarine in a saucepan on a medium to high heat not browning the butter or marg.
- Now add the butternut squash (not peeled just cleaned and deseeded and cubed) carrots, leeks, onion, clove, thyme, bay leaf, garlic, and cook for 10mins with the lid on turning the veg from time to time.
- After 10 mins add the stock and potatoes bring to the boil turn down and simmer for 45mins with the lid on.
- Remove from the heat and place the soup into a blender with a tablespoon of flour and blend until smooth.
- Return to the saucepan and stir in the 200ml of milk and bring to a slow boil and turn down add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 5 mins and serve.
I have found the best thai red chilli paste for this recipe to be barts. If you do not want it too spicy do not add the chilli.
- 1kg Butternut Squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 Onion rough chopped
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- 2cm cubed Root ginger grated
- 4tsp Thai red curry paste
- 400ml Vegetable stock
- 400ml Coconut milk (low fat)
- 1 Chilli, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Place the butternut squash on a non-stick baking tray and season. Roast for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium pan and add the onion, chilli and ginger. Cover and saute, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the butternut squash, stock and coconut milk. Cover and bring to the boil, then allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Puree the soup in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return to the pan, season to taste and reheat gently, adding a little more stock or boiling water for a thinner consistency if required.