Carrot cake recipes
Our top 3 of 23 Carrot cake recipes
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 3 ozs pecan nuts
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1. Mix all the ingredients together.
- 2. Bake at 350F for approximately 1 hour.
- 3. Serve it with icing sugar on top.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 100g pecans
- 340g carrots
- 260g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 300g sugar
- 240ml vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ICING ..............
- 57g unsalted butter
- 227g cream cheese
- 230g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lemons zest
- Carrot Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray two - 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.
- Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 - 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans (or one large cake tin) and bake 25 to 30 minutes (45 - 1hr if in the large cake tin) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.
- To assemble: place one cake layer, top side down, onto your serving plate. Spread with about one third of the frosting. Gently place the other cake, top of cake facing down, onto the frosting, and spread the rest of the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. If desired, press toasted and finely chopped nuts on the sides of the cake and decorate the top of the cake with marzipan carrots (see below). Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
- Serves 10 - 12.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the cream cheese and butter, on low speed, just until blended with no lumps. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
1. Cake can be frozen but do it without the icing. 2. Sizes above are English measurements. They are different from American measurements.
9 CommentsAdd comment
- THE CAKE
- 2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 1 ½ cups Caster Sugar
- 2 teasp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 teasp salt
- 2 cups (approx ½ lb) Grated Carrot
- 1 cup (approx 420 gm tin - remove juice) Crushed Pineapple
- 2 teasp Cinnamon
- ¾ cup Corn or sunflower Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
- THE ICING
- 1 oz Butter or Margarine
- 6 oz cream cheese (like Philadelphia)
- ½ - 1 oz almond essence (or other to your taste)
- 8 oz Icing Sugar (sifted)
- The Cake
- Mix all ingredients of cake together well and bake in moderate oven 180 degrees centigrade (gasmark 4 or 350 degrees F) in a large lined tin for approxomately 1 hour. Leave to cool in the tin.
- The Icing
- Beat cheese and butter together until well blended, gradually mixing in the essence and icing sugar. Cover top and sides with icing and chill until required for eating.