Chicken cacciatore recipes
Our top 3 of 4 Chicken cacciatore recipes
- Chicken Cacciatore
- Chicken Cacciatore (Low-Carb)
- Chicken Cacciatore [Hunters Chicken]
- Recent recipes
- View all
- Glug Olive oil
- 6 Boned and skinned Chicken breasts or thighs
- 400g tin Chopped or Cherry Tomatoes
- 3x50mm sprigs rosemary
- 1 Medium onion finely chopped
- 1 Garlic clove crushed and peeled
- 1 Chopped fresh chilli (to taste)
- 15 (or so) Pitted green olives
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 350ml Dry white wine
- 1 tsp Anchovy Sauce or 2 salted anchovies chopped. (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees
- 1 Gently fry onion and garlic in the olive oil, when softened and transluscent transfer to a warm casserole,
- 2 Slice chicken into bite sized pieces and in the oil fry off until browned. Do in batches or add more oil if necessary.Transfer to the casserole.
- 3 Add tomatoes, white wine. bay leaves and rosemary to frying pan. bring to boil and stir in any remaining chicken/onion juices. Add olives and transfer to the casserole. Stir in together and put on casserole lid.Season well.
- 4 Place in oven for 1hr 15 mins. Take out and stir then put back in oven for 30 mins with lid OFF. This will reduce the liquid and thicken sauce.
- 5 Serve with pasta of your choice and either parmesan or grated cheddar.
Tip 1. I prefer thighs as the meat is tastier, but you can use other cut of chicken. Tip 2. Can be prepared easily in advance and heated later. Also, freezes very well. Tip 3. 350kcal per serving (chicken only) Tip 3. Serve with lemon or plain rice.
- 8 pieces Chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp Olive oi for frying
- 20g Butter
- 2 med. Onion, chopped finely
- 225g Shiitake mushrooms
- 3 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 185ml Dry white wine
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Basil, chopped
- 100 ml Passata or chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1. Sautee the chicken with a bit of olive oil in a large frying pan until golden brown for about 20 minutes turning regularly.
- 2. In a separate pan on medium heat, melt the butter add the onions and mushrooms, sautee until golden. Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- 4. Spoon the mushrooms, onions and garlic over the chicken and pour on the wine.
- 5. Add the bay leaves, basil and paprika.
- 6. Simmer for about 20 minutes, partially covered, then stir in the tomato sauce or passata and add salt to season.
- 7. Cook uncovered to reduce on low heat for a further 15 minutes.
1 Serve with roast potatoes or Italian potatoes & a green veg of your choice. 2 For a bit of extra spice , add 1 finely sliced red chilli to the pan when you are sweating off the onion & garlic.
- 4 chicken legs
- 75 g plain flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbspn vegetable oil
- 2 Onions. sliced
- 2 garlic cloves. finely chopped
- 2 tbspn tomato puree
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 100 ml White wine
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbspn red wine vinegar
- fresh parsley
- 800 g baby plum tomates halved
- 1. Season flour with salt and pepper, then dust chicken pieces with it.
- 2. Heat the oil in a casserole dish or large pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- 3. Add onion and garlic to pan, cook over a low heat until soft.
- 4. Add tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes.
- 5. Add tomatoes, rosemary, bay leaf, wine, stock and vinegar and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 6. Return chicken to casserole and cover with a lid. Simmer over a low heat for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- 7. To serve, remove lid and sprinkle with parsley.