Chicken pie recipes
Our top 3 of 30 Chicken pie recipes
- CREAMY CHICKEN PIE
- ½ Roasted Chicken (left overs from the night before?)
- 25g Butter
- 4-5 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 tbspn Plain Flour
- 250ml Milk
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 2 tbsp Tarragon
- 500g Puff Pastry (home made or out a packet)
- 2 tsp Ground Chives
- 1 egg
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200 Degrees (Celsius)
- 2. Rip large chunks of chicken from the bone and discard the reminents.
- 3. In a large pan at medium-high heat melt the butter and add the spring onions, tarragon and chives.
- 4. lighty brown the spring onions and add the tablespoon of flour along with 2 tabespoons of cold water.
- 5. Slowly stir in the cream and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- 6. Once the sauce has thickened slightly (after about 10 mins)add the chicken.
- 7. Pour the filling into a medium sized pie dish (it should be large enough to feed 2-3 people)
- 8. Roll out your puff pastry and la on top of the pie dish, cut any excess from the edges.
- 9. whisk an egg in a small bowl and paste on top of the pastry.
- 10. Cook in the preheated oven for 30-35 mins or until the pastry is crispy.
- Can be served with jacket potato, chips or veetables. Enjoy!
Chicken thigh is often seen as the inferior cousin of breast meat but it actually has a lot more flavour, is less inclined to dry out and is less expensive too
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the chicken and fry until golden and cooked through. Set to one side.
- Leave just a tablespoon of oil in the pan and add the butter.
- Stir in the shallots and cook for 5 minutes until golden and softened. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for another couple of minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute or so.
- Pour in the wine and stock, whisking until smooth. Let it bubble and thicken for a few minutes before adding the asparagus and creme fraiche.
- Check the seasoning and spoon into four 250ml (9fl oz) pie dishes. Cut the pastry into four equal sized pieces and roll out into squares large enough to cover the pies. Brush the pie rims with egg, place the pastry on top, press into place and cut a slit in each. Brush with more egg and bake for 20 minutes until golden. Delicious served with carrots and broccoli.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 1.5 kg chicken breasts
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 carrot, peeled
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 25g butter
- 3 tbsp. plain flour
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pack ready-made puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 1. Saute the diced chicken in a large pot with the onion, carrot, celery and parsley.
- 2. Boil the stock.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 220ºC (fan 200ºC / gas mark 7).
- 4. Gently melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and let it bubble for a couple minutes.
- 5. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, whisking all the time until the sauce thickens.
- 6. Reduce the heat, stir in the mushrooms and leave to gently simmer for couple of mins. Season to taste.
- 6. Stir the chicken into the sauce with the parsley.
- 7. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Place a 1.4l oval pie dish in the centre of the pastry, roughly cut around it.
- 8. Cut strips of pastry from the pastry remaining around the edges of the dish.
- 9. Brush the rim of the pie dish and attach the pastry strips to it.
- 10. Spoon the chicken filling into the dish. Brush the pastry edges with water then lay the pastry on top.
- 11. Trim the edges, then push them together to seal.
- 12. Brush the top of the chicken pie all over with beaten egg. Make a steam hole in the centre of the pie. Place on a baking tray and bake for 25 mins or until the pastry is golden brown.