Chicken tagine recipes
Our top 3 of 5 Chicken tagine recipes
- Thyme Honey Chicken & Date Tagine
- Chicken Tagine
- Chicken Tagine
- Recent recipes
- View all 5 variations
Thyme Honey Chicken & Date Tagine
by New Zealand Honey Co.
Views 793, Added Fri Mar 30 2012
- 1 large whole chicken
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 tsp Corriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp New Zealand Honey Co Thyme Honey
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 cup Dried Dates
- 2 springs mint leaves
- Cut the chicken into 6 equal pieces and then rub in the paprika and turmeric. Let the chicken sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the butter, olive oil, diced onions, coriander, cumin and sliced lemon to a frying pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Brown the chicken pieces in the same frying pan for 2 minutes on each side, then place the chicken in the tagine base.
- Turn off the heat and add the honey, roughly chopped garlic cloves, dried dates and mint leaves and season. Stir and then add this to the tagine base, before adding two cups of water. Season with cracked black pepper and place the tagine lid onto the base.
- Turn oven to 160 degrees and bake for 3 hours.
- If you are using an earthen tagine, it is important to bring the oven and tagine up to heat together i.e.: do not place tagine in a hot oven. If you are using a tagine with a cast iron base, you can prepare using that on the stove top and put it straight into a pre heated oven.
- If you do not have a tagine, you can follow the recipe above exactly and use an earthen or ceramic casserole dish instead.
- 8 Chicken Portions
- 2 Onions. chopped
- 3 garlic cloves. finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon powdered cumin
- ¾ teaspoon saffron
- ½ cup mixed flat leaf parsley and fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 Ib tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- sufficient water to cover chicken
- to taste salt and pepper
- ½ cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- if desired harissa
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Chicken Tagine:
- 1) Place the chicken portions in a bowl and add the spices and oil and allow to marinade overnight ideally (you can get away with not marinading and just coating without major impact on flavour
- 2)Heat 5 tablespoons of olive oil in large casserole or saucepan is fine. Fry the chicken portions, browning quickly. Remove from pan. (although traditionally not browned, it tastes better in my opinion)
- 3) Fry onions in same pan and then add garlic and brown too
- 4) Deglaze pan with little water if becomes sticky. Put chicken back in casserole / saucepan
- 5) Add any remaining marinade not stuck to chicken previously
- 6) Add spices, chopped parsley and coriander, tomatoes, tomato puree and honey and sufficient water to cover the chicken. Bring up to the boil and then turn down heat and cook slowly over a very low heat for 1.5hrs (or cook in over at 180 degrees C. for same time). Chicken should be very tender and tasty.
- 7) Season with salt and pepper
- 8) Brown almonds and sesame seeds in the oven or frying pan
- 9) When ready to serve, remove tagine from stove or oven and sprinkle the browned amonds and sesame seeds over the top
- 3lb Chicken
- 3 Onions
- 2oz Butter
- 1tsp Saffron powder
- ½ tsp Ground ginger
- 1tbsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
- 4oz Dates,stoned
- 10oz Frozen broad beans,thawed
- Fresh coriander sprigs
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- 1)cut the chicken into 12 pieces.put the chicken into a large,heavy-based saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- 2)peel and chop one of the onions into thin rings and finely chop the other two onions.add the onion rings to the chicken in the pan with the butter.pour in about 3/4 pint cold water,or just enough to cover the chicken.
- 3)bring slowly to the boil,reduce the heat to low,cover the pan and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- 4)add the saffron,ginger,paprika,cinnamon,finely chopped onions,the dates and broad beans to the chicken,stir well put the lid back on and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- 5)trnsfer the chicken to a serving dish,or if you have one,a classic tagine dish.roughly chop the fresh herbs and sprinkle over the finished dish.add a few parsley sprigs to garnish