Our top 3 of 14 Dahl recipes
- 250g yellow split peas
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1cm piece chopped ginger
- 1 bayleaf
- ½ tspn cumin seeds
- ¾ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 tbs chopped coriander
- salt to taste
- little oil
- Wash the split peas and soak for 20 minutes. Drain and place in a saucepan with 500ml water, cook for 20 minutes.
- Sautee the garlic, ginger, chilli and bay leaf in a little oil for two minutes. Add the cumin, chilli powder and turmeric and stir well. Add the tomato and continue to stir for a further two minutes. Add this mixture to the dal. Bring to the boil and cook until the grains are soft but retain some shape (about 1 hour). Add the coriander and serve.
Lentils always taste better the next day, Why not make extra and leave overnight!
2 CommentsAdd comment
- 4 Lrg Onions. chopped
- 4Lrg garlic cloves. crushed
- 300g Red Split Lentils
- 1 Tsp Tumeric Powder
- To Taste Lemon Juice
- To Taste Table Salt
- First of bring the water to the boil.
- Wash the Lentils to remove the starch and any "Stones" and add these to the boiling water.
- Peel and Chop 4 Lrg Onions and Chop Garlic and Fry the onions till browned, Add the Garlic and fry till popping but NOT burned. Leave these to one side.
- With a wooden Spoon mush the lentils against the side of the pan keep these simmering Not Boiling. Add Tumeric and stir in.
- Stir In Onion/Garlic mix from earlier and leave to simmer for 20 mins.
- Stir mixture and add lemon Juice and salt to taste. You will need to add more as the lentils boil down.
- Simmer for 2 hours on a low heat and serve with Basmati Rice and chapattis.
* Goes well with ROAST VEGETABLES. * Mix left-over DAHL and RICE, leave overnight then roll into balls and bake on oiled baking sheet - makes tasty, spicy balls that can be eaten hot or cold with salad. *Read ingredients of Curry Pastes to ensure Vegan - Thai Pastes often have 'shrimp paste' and Indian 'whey' or 'milk powder'. * DAHL freezes well.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 8 OZ Organic Red Lentils
- 1 STOCK CUBE Vegetable (or Tomato)
- 6-8 CLOVES Garlic
- 4 TBSP Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 SMALL Onion (optional)
- 1-2 DSP Curry Paste (Thai Red or Green Curry Paste by LOTUS is Vegan)
- 1 TSP Turmeric
- Fresh Coriander to garnish
- 1. Measure and check LENTILS for small stones. Rinse well in sieve. cover with WATER, add BAY LEAVES, a drop of OIL and crumbled STOCK CUBE. Bring to boil and simmer gently, stirring occasionally. Add more liquid if required.
- 2. Peel ONION and GARLIC cloves. Chop into small pieces.
- 3. Heat OLIVE OIL in a separate small pan, stir in ONION, GARLIC and CURRY PASTE (can be RED, GREEN or a MIX, or INDIAN - and as pep as you like!). Saute together for a couple of minutes then add to simmering lentils
- 4. Stir in TURMERIC and simmer gently until cooked (10-15 minutes). Check seasoning.
- 5. Serve with RICE (Thai fragrant brown or white rice is good!) or BAKED POTATOES and a seasonal vegetable like SPINACH, SEA BEET, CAULIFLOWER, BROCOLLI or CABBAGE.