Our top 3 of 7 Haggis recipes
- 1½ lb Beef liver
- 2 Lamb kidneys
- ¾ lb Lamb shoulder
- ¼ lb Beef suet
- 2 Onions minced
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 1 cup Stock
- To taste Salt and pepper
- Boil the meat for an hour reserve stock.
- Allow to cool.
- Grate the liver. Finely chop the others Chop the suet.
- Toast the oatmeal in a shallow pan in the oven, shaking occasionally.
- Mix the meats, suet, onions and oatmeal together with a cup of the stock in which liver and meats were cooked. Add salt and plenty of pepper to taste.
- Turn into greased Pyrex bowl. Cover with 2 or 3 layers of foil. Steam on a rack in a pan of boiling water for 2 hours, adding more boiling water as it boils away.
- 1kg Haggis
- 4 Large Turnips
- 50g Butter
- 2 tsp Sugar - Caster
- 6 Large Potatoes (Maris Piper best)
- 60-70g Butter
- Salt Pepper to Season
- Boil a 1kg haggis in a large pan for approximately 20 minutes. For larger sizes, consult the label for boiling time. For vegetarians look out for the many variations of vegetarian haggis.
- Peel and quarter the turnips. Boil for 25 minutes or until soft. Drain and mash, adding the butter, sugar and salt.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and mash and add the butter and milk until preferred consistency. Season to taste.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 40g butter. melted
- 100g flour (plain)
- 1 ½ - 2 pnts milk
- cheese. grated
- Lasange sheets
- 2 tins haggis
- 1 Tomato
- 3 tsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1.pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- 2.melt butter in a saucepan add flour and mustard powder to make a paste.
- 3.Add milk little by little keeping the mix on a high heat and stirring continuously (I like to use a whisk at this stage to ensure no lumps)until you have a thick white sauce. 4.Add salt pepper and mixed herbs depending on taste.
- 5.Place lasagne sheets into boiling water for a few moments to slightly soften.
- 6.break haggis up in a bowl - if using tinned haggis sometimes helps to heat it a little.
- 7. Layer Lasagne, haggis and white sauce in a lasagne dish and top with grated cheese and sliced tomato, sprinkle with dried mixed herbs
- 8. oven bake for approx 1 hour or until pasta is tender and golden on top .