Jerk chicken recipes
Our top 3 of 5 Jerk chicken recipes
- Jerk Chicken, Yam, Rice And Peas
- Jamaican Chicken
- Authentic Jerk Chicken (Low-Carb)
- Most recent
- View all 5 variations
Jerk Chicken, Yam, Rice And Peas
by Mustard CommunicationsViewed 1802 times
- 1. Place the chicken in a shallow bowl, add the jerk seasoning and 15ml/1tbsp oil
- and leave to marinate for at least 10 mins.
- 2. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6. In a roasting tin, mix the potatoes,
- pepper and onion with 15ml/1tbsp oil, place the chicken on top and bake for
- 25mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Meanwhile, cook the rice in boiling salted water for 20-25mins or until the rice is tender. Stir in the beans. Mix together the lime, chilli, sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Thickly shred the lettuce.
- 3. Transfer the chicken to a board and slice. Mix the vegetables into the rice with
- half the lettuce. Divide the remaining lettuce between two plates and heap the rice
- mixture on top, finally top with the chicken and spoon over the dressing. Serve
- straight away.
- For more delicious recipes visit www.britishleafysalads.co.uk
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 2 tsp. jerk seasoning
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 oz brown rice
- 1 can black eye beans, drained
- 1 zest and juice of lime
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 little gem lettuce
- to taste salt and ground black pepper
by MauritaViewed 2206 times
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar.
- 2. Slowly add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice with a whisk.
- 3. Add the onion, and spring onions and mix well.
- 4. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- 5. Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade.
- 1 tbsp. Ground allspice
- 1 tbsp. Thyme. dried
- 2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. Ground pepper
- 2 tsp. Sage. dried
- 1 tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 2 tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Sugar
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- ¼ cup Soy sauce
- ½ cup White vinegar
- ¾ cup Orange juice
- 1 Juice of lime
- 1 cup Onion. chopped
- 2 Spring onions
- 4 Chicken breasts
Authentic Jerk Chicken (Low-Carb)
by AnnikkaViewed 241 times
- 1. Combine all of the ingredients except the chicken in a large bowl. Add a bit of water to form a loose paste.
- 2. Reserve 100ml of the sauce for later use.
- 3. Marinate the chicken in the remaining sauce for at least 1 hour or as long as 24 hours (the longer the better). Turn the meat several times, mixing the sauce.
- For the barbecue:
- Now when it comes to 'jerking', its an art form! But please read the tips:
- 4.Prepare the barbecue outdoors with plenty of coals. When the coals become grey and well ashed over, add the soaked wood to the fire.
- 5. Add the chicken on the grill of the barbecue and cover, leaving the vent holes open. Barbecue slowly for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, depending on the size of the chicken pieces.
- 6. Check the fire after 30 minutes, adding coal or wood as needed and being careful not to 'flame' the fire.
- 7. Baste the chicken every 30 minutes with the remaining marinate.
- 8. Turn the chicken several times as it cooks. The chicken is done when its firm to the touch and slightly charred.
- 9. Once the chicken is cooked take it from the fire and let it sit for 15 minutes.
Tip1. I have given the slow cook original jerking method, if you wish just to add the Jamaican flavour to your dish, but not the hassle than leave out the wood chips, cook your chicken as normal on the barbecue, but ensure it is cooked all the way through. Alternatively, pre-bake it for 45 minutes in the oven and then grill it on the barbecue to be on the safe side. Tip2. To save you even more time, the marinate can be done in the food processor, saves you all the chopping and is safer to handle those hot chilies.
- JERK MARINADE
- 3 bunches Spring onion, finely chopped
- 3 large Garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded, minced
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 2 tbl Ground Allspice (Pimento)
- 2 tbl Black Pepper, ground
- 1 ½ tbl Salt
- 2.5kg Chicken Thighs and Legs
- 2 whole Chickens, quartered
- ALSO IF YOU CAN
- Hardwood chips
- Barbecue that can be covered
Jamaican Jerk Chicken with Rice and Peas (slow Cooker)
by annierobb123Viewed 1709 times
- Combine the Jerk Marinade with the Natural Yoghurt if using.
- Remove the skin from the chicken pieces and slash 2-3 times, then rub/cover with the marinade.
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken and fry over a high heat until browned on all sides. Lift out with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining oil and fry the onions and garlic, on a reduced heat, for about 5 mins, until softened.
- Pour in the cocunut milk and stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Pour half the mixture into the slow cooker, add half the chicken pieces, all the beans and then the remaining chicken, and top with the onions and coconut mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir in the rice, replace the lid and cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for a further 14 minutes.
- Spoon onto plates and serve garnished with the coriander.
You can shop around for different jerk marinades. I tried doing my own but couldn't beat the Dunns for flavour, and a Jamaican friend recommended it in the first place, though without diluting it with yoghurt!
1 CommentsAdd comment
- 8 Chicken pieces. legs or thighs
- 3 tbsp Jerk Marinade (I used Dunns River
- 3 tbsp Natural Yoghurt (to dilute the hot marinade a bit!
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves. finely chopped
- 2 large onion. finely chopped
- 400ml Can of Coconut Milk
- 300ml chicken stock
- 400g Tin of Kidney Beans
- 200g easy cook rice
- 125g frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- sprips Coriander