Lentil soup recipes
Our top 3 of 30 Lentil soup recipes
by evaViewed 8590 times
- Chop up all the veggies. Put everything in a big pan. Bring up to a simmer and cook very gently about one hour, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't catch. Add more liquid if you think it's needed - but remember this is a main meal and should be very thick.
- Liquidise all or part, or just mash with a potato masher.
- Can also be made in a pressure cooker - 25 minutes at full pressure.
- This is just the basic recipe, so feel free to be creative with ingredients - it's very flexible. I make this often as it uses things I always have in stock and is so incredibly easy.
- I add a little vinegar (balsamic or wine) to my plate, but my better half prefers Worcester sauce (but this would make it non-vegetarian, of course).
6 CommentsAdd comment
- 225 grams orange lentils
- 1 or 2 medium potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 tall tin tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 1 litre veg stock (marigold or similar)
- 1 teaspoon marmite
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- salt pepper
- 2 onions
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
by AnnaR1Viewed 11641 times
- 1) Cook onion and green pepper on olive oil, until soft.
- 2) Stir in flour.
- 3) Add tomatoes, carrots, lentils, salt and water.
- 4) Cover and simmer over a very low heat for about 2 hours, stirring from time to time.
- 5) Serve with freshly baked bread.
- 2 cups lentils (no need to pre-soak)
- 1 can tomatoes
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper de-seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion neatly chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 stock cube / 2-3 teaspoons Bouillon
by lyndaViewed 1145 times
- Heat oil and add onions and carrots, cook for 5 mins. Add garlic and curry powder and cook for 1 min more.Add the rest of ingredients and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 mins. Season and serve hot or can be frozen for up to 3 months
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots roughly chopped
- 5 oz Red lentils
- 1 -2 tsp Curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 5 fl oz Tomato/veg juice
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 ½ pints veg/chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp dried corriander leaf
- 1 -2 tsp dried mixed herbs
Butternut and Red Lentil Soup
by Love BakingViewed 1 times
- Peel and finely dice the onion. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook on a low heat, stirring now and then, for about 10 minutes until softened.
- Peel the carrot, slice lengthways and cut into half moons approx. 1 cm thick.
- Add the carrots to the onions and cook for a further 5-10 minutes while you prepare the squash.
- Peel the squash, cut in half, remove the seeds and chop into chunks (roughly 2-3 cm). Strip the rosemary / thyme leaves from the stalks and finely chop.
- Unless using fresh stock, pour 1 litre boiling water over a stock cube / 1-2 tsp bouillon powder. Otherwise, heat the fresh stock.
- Add the squash chunks and lentils to the pan and stir, then add the herbs and liquid. Turn up the heat until bubbling, then reduce to low and simmer for about 45 minutes until the vegetables and lentils and soft.
- Blitz with a hand-held blender until smooth and silky (or carefully pour into a food processor or blender, blitz and return to the pan). Taste, add a teaspoon of red wine vinegar, stir or briefly blitz again, taste, then season to your liking / add a splash more vinegar if needed. If you think it is too thick, add a little boiling water until you get your preferred texture.
- Serve plain or with topped with one or more of the following: pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, crumbled goat's cheese, Dukkah or yogurt / sour cream / creme fraiche.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 (medium / large) carrot
- 1 small Butternut squash
- 100 g Dried red lentils
- 1 small sprig Rosemary or thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 litre Vegetable stock / bouillon
- 1 tsp Red wine vinegar
- To season to taste Salt and pepper
- OPTIONAL - TO SERVE
- A few Pumpkin seeds
- A few Dried cranberries
- A little Crumbled goat's cheese
- A little Dukkah spice mix
- A little Plain yogurt / sour cream / creme fraiche