Macaroni cheese recipes
Our top 3 of 31 Macaroni cheese recipes
- 5-cheese Macaroni With Chilli, Pancetta & Parmesan Crust
- Macaroni Cheese
- Extra Special Macaroni Cheese (with Pancetta and Dolcelatte)
- Recent recipes
- View all 31 variations
5-cheese Macaroni With Chilli, Pancetta & Parmesan Crust
Views 2164, Added Wed Sep 23 2009
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 250 g Macaroni pasta
- 40 g Clover
- 40 g Plain flour
- 550 ml Cold whole milk
- 180 g Mixed cheeses. grated e.g. mozzarella. mature cheddar. red Leicester. emmental
- 1 tsp. English mustard
- to taste Salt
- 20 g Clover
- 75 g Pancetta or dry cure streaky smoked bacon
- large pinch Dried chili flakes
- 30 g Toasted white breadcrumbs
- 1 dsp. Finely grated parmesan
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C, fan 175, gas 5. Cook the macaroni pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for exactly 8 minutes. Drain and cool in cold running water. Leave aside until ready to assemble.
- 2. While the pasta cooks, make the sauce, melt the Clover in a medium saucepan and add the flour. Cook on a low heat, stirring continuously for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cold milk. Then bring to a gentle simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat once more and add the grated cheeses, mustard and some salt to taste. Stir in the cooked macaroni and spoon into a Clover greased 2 litre oval ceramic oven-proof dish.
- 3. For the topping, melt half the Clover in a frying pan and cook the pancetta or bacon for 5 minutes, until starting to turn golden. Remove from the heat, add the chili then scatter over the macaroni, including the flavoured cooking juices. Mix the breadcrumbs with the parmesan, remaining Clover and 2 teaspoons water and mix then crumble over the top of the macaroni. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until golden.
- 200g macaroni or any pasta
- 100g any cheese
- 250ml whole milk
- 25g plain flour
- 25g margarine
- small spoon mustard
- 1 leaf Herbs of choice (mine is basil or parsly)
- 1. Firstly put the pasta in a pan
- 2. Secondly grate your cheese and put it in a separate bowl
- 3. Put milk, flour, margarine, salt, pepper and mustard
- in a jug
- 4. Put cheese in the jug and put in the microwave for 1.30 mins then stir and put back in the microwave for 1 min
- 5. Drain the pasta
- 6. Then pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and add some herb of your choice
Extra Special Macaroni Cheese (with Pancetta and Dolcelatte)
Views 3652, Added Wed Jan 26 2011
You could always use bacon instead of pancetta, and mature cheddar or any strong cheese instead of Dolcelatte if you're not a fan of blue cheese. (Although I highly recommend Dolcelatte, it is a lovely creamy cheese that tastes divine in this dish). Replacing the pancetta and spring onions with bacon and leeks is also a good variation on this recipe! I have also added chestnut mushrooms in the past which worked well.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- Teaspoon Freshly crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Pinch Grated Nutmeg
- Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- Bunch Chopped Fresh Basil
- Bunch Chopped Frest Parsley
- 40g Butter
- 40g Plain Flour
- 200ml Milk
- 245ml Double Cream
- 500g Dried Macaroni
- 100g Pancetta
- 120g Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 300g Dolcelatte Cheese
- Bunch Chopped Spring Onions
- Fresh Breadcrumbs
- Olive Oil
- 1. Bring a large pan of Salted water to the boil and add dried pasta. Cook for 2 minutes less than the instructions on the packet, drain and leave to one side.
- 2. Fry the pancetta in olive oil with the chopped spring onions for 3 – 4 minutes or until pancetta is browned and crisp. Remove from heat when done and leave to one side.
- 3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a low heat. Add the flour and turn heat up to medium, stirring all the time until you get a paste. Gradually whisk in the milk a little at a time until you get a nice smooth consistency.
- 4. Now add the cream, nutmeg and mustard powder to the sauce and stir well. Bring the mixture to the boil then leave to simmer on a low heat, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes until it thickens.
- 5. Once the sauce has thickened, remove it from the heat and while still hot add 90g of the grated Parmesan and 225g of Dolcelatte, stir the cheese in to give it a chance to melt.
- 6. Put the pasta into a large mixing bowl and pour on the sauce. Add the pancetta and onions and mix everything together.
- 7. Add the crushed red pepper flakes, the basil and most of the parsley (keep a little parsley back for garnish), add a pinch of salt and a sprinkling of black pepper (or generous grind of black pepper depending on personal taste). Finally, stir this all together and pour into a casserole dish or similar ovenproof dish.
- 8. Before putting in the oven, combine the breadcrumbs and a touch of olive oil with your fingers and sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan and the rest of the Dolcelatte in small lumps evenly over the top.
- 9. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, garnish with the rest of the parsley and enjoy!