Our top 3 of 57 Meatballs recipes
- Mamma's Meatballs
- Spicy Dutch Meat Balls
- Moroccan Meatballs with Chorizo
- Recent recipes
- View all 57 variations
- 700g bottle of passata
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100mls full fat milk
- pinch of sugar
- 500g minced beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan
- 3 garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- a good grind pepper
- Firstly put the mince meat, egg, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, 1 of the garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon of the oregano in a large bowl and with your hands dig in and mix it all up, adding a good grind of pepper and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Then shape into smallish balls ( this can take a while but is really fun to do, my kids enjoy helping)
- Place the meat balls on a plate and set aside while you make the sauce.
- Put the onion, remaining garlic and oregano into a processor or hand blender and blitz to a pulp. Heat the butter and oil in a deep pan, then scrape the onion garlic mix into it and cook over a low heat, making sure it doesn't catch, for ten minutes.
- Add passata and then half fill the empty bottle with cold water. Add this to the pan with a pinch of sugar and some salt and pepper, and cook for about ten minutes.
- The tomato sauce may look thin at this stage but don't panic it will thicken up later. Stir in milk, and then drop in the meatballs one at a time. Dont stir the pan until meatballs have changed from pink to brown as you will break them up.
- Cook everything for about twenty minutes, with a lid partially covering it. At the end of cooking time, check seasoning, adding more salt or a grind of pepper to taste.
- Serve with spaghetti or tagliatelle.
- 4 Slices Bacon
- 3 Speculaas (Cookies)
- 400g Minced Beef
- 1½ Tsp Speculaas Spices
- 3 Tbsp Ketjap Manis (Indonesian Sweet Soya Sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Sambal Bajak (Hot Indonesian Sauce)
- 25g Butter
- 1. Cut the bacon into very thin strips.
- 2. Ground the cookies into fine crumbs and mix them with the speculaar spice powder, ketjap, sambal and bacon, then mix all of it throughly with the ground beef.
- 3. Roll the mixture into balls (about 24 of them).
- 4. Heat the butter in a large pan and cook for about 10 minutes on a low heat until golden brown.
- 5. Serve while warm with a little extra sambal.
Reduce down by simmering uncovered if the sauce is too liquid. Serve with spicy couscous mixed with raisins or plain rice if preferred. Enjoy!
5 CommentsAdd comment
- 750g minced lamb
- 1 butternut squash deseeded peeled and cubed
- 1 onion. very finely chopped
- 1 red chilli. deseeded and finely chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2 whole cloves, ground
- coriander leaves from a large bunch, ½ chopped, Â½ left whole
- 1 egg, beaten
- 250g chorizo, chopped
- olive oil
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 2x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1. Mix the lamb, onion, chilli, spices and the chopped coriander leaves together in a bowl. Add the egg and season well, combine with clean hands.
- 2. Form into small meatballs, about the size of a walnut.
- 3. Fry the meatballs in a little oil in a large frying pan until browned all over, adding the chorizo towards the end.
- 4. Scoop out of the pen and put to one side.
- 5. Add the harissa to the pan and cook for a minute. Add the tomatoes, butternut squash, chicken stock and cinnamon stick and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 6. Add the meatballs and chorizo and simmer for another 20 minutes until cooked. Stir through the rest of the coriander and serve.