Onion soup recipes
Our top 3 of 9 Onion soup recipes
- Alastair Hendy's Onion and cider soup
- Cheese and Onion Soup
- Hearty French Onion Soup
- Recent recipes
- View all 9 variations
- 6 medium onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 40g butter
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Leaves from 2 sprigs thyme
- 800ml good beef or chicken stock (beef is preferable)
- 1 x 568ml bottle dry cider
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Peel and finely slice the onions. Peel and crush the garlic. In a large saucepan, fry the onions in the butter over a very low heat for about 30 minutes, adding some seasoning and stirring occasionally, until deeply caramelised.
- Stir in the crushed garlic and the thyme leaves. Pour in the stock, cider and vinegar, bring to a bubble and simmer for about 10 minutes, spooning off any flotsam. Serve the hot soup in heatproof serving bowls.
- 3 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 Peppercorns (crushed)
- 1 Clove crushed
- 550ml Water
- 1 Teaspoon corn flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 125g Cheddar Cheese . grated
- Take a saucepan add the onion then the olive oil, pepper corns and clove and mix well on a medium to low heat cook until soft and transparent.
- Take 450ml of water and add to the onions and bring to the boil then simmer for 20mins .
- After 20mins mix the corn flour and 100ml of cold water together and add to the onions and mix well, pour into a blender and bend and return to the saucepan salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add 1/2 of the cheese and simmer for 2mins or until the cheese is just melted serve and garnish with rest of the cheese
- 3 Large White Onions
- 50g Butter
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 250ml Dry White Wine
- 1 ltr Beef Stock
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds (optional)
- 50ml Brandy (optional)
- 1 French Bread Stick
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 150g Gruyere Cheese
- 50ml Olive Oil
- Remove the skins and cut the onions in half, then thinly slice. Heat the butter in a heavy deep based pan - I find Le Creuset to be the best. When melted add the onions and coat in the butter. Add the sugar, stir and let cook until browned. This will take about 20-25 minutes. If you want to add the mustard seeds add after 15 minutes.
- When browned add the white wine and bring to the boil. When boiling add the beef stock, return to boil, then simmer with a lid on for 1 hour.
- To make the croutons, pre heat a grill to high. Crush the garlic into the olive oil. Cut the french stick into slices, dip in the garlic/oil mix and then grill until golden on one side. Turn over and cover with grated gruyere cheese and grill until melted.
- When the soup is ready (you can stir in the brandy now if you desire), serve in bowls, float one or two croutons on top and grate any remaining cheese over. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.