Potato soup recipes
Our top 3 of 10 Potato soup recipes
- Potato and Kale Soup
- Irish Potato Soup
- Mushroom and Potato Soup
- Recent recipes
- View all 10 variations
- 1 lb potatoes. peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion. peeled and chopped
- 8 oz kale. destalked and sliced
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1. Place the sliced potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- 2. Bring to the boil and simmer until cooked.
- 3. Mashed the potatoes through a sieve.
- 4. Return to the saucepan and add sufficient water to make a thin liquid.
- 5. Bring back to the boil and add the chopped onion and sliced kale.
- 6. Season.
- 7. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- 500g Potatoes such as Rooster. Arran Pilot. Cara
- Knob of butter
- 4 Bacon Rashers. Chopped
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender.
- Drain, reserving the cooking water.
- Cool the potatoes slightly and peel and mash
- Thin with water to make a soup consistency, add the butter and season
- Fry the bacon until crisp
- Reheat the bacon before serving and scatter over the bacon.
Any variety of mushrooms can be used. I generally use plain button mushrooms or chestnut mushrooms which both work well, but a mixture of different varieties, including wild mushrooms, would be great for even more depth of flavour. Serve straight away or cool, keep in the fridge, and reheat when needed. Can also be frozen.
- About 15 g Butter
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1-2 cloves Garlic (optional)
- 1 Small onion
- 350 g Mushrooms
- 250 g Potatoes
- 125 ml Dry white wine
- A few sprigs Fresh thyme or oregano (or 1 tsp dried herbs)
- About 1.5 litres Vegetable stock (cube / bouillon powder)
- To taste Salt and black pepper
- 4 tbsp Creme fraiche / Cream (optional)
- Handful Fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Finely chop the onions (and garlic if using) in a food processor. Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion (and garlic if using) and cook on a low heat for about 5 minutes, until it starts to soften. Stir occasionally, or put a lid on, to avoid burning. Meanwhile, chop the mushrooms and peeled potato in the food processor. Add the mushrooms and potatoes to the pan, followed by a little salt and pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the wine, thyme / oregano and stock to the pan and bring to the boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Taste, then season if required. Blend with a stick blender (or transfer to a blender). If it is too thick, add a little extra hot water and blend again.
- Serve with a swirl of creme fraiche or single or double cream. You can also scatter a little parsley over the top.