Prawn cocktail recipes
Our top 3 of 10 Prawn cocktail recipes
- 1 crisp lettuce
- 350g peeled cooked prawns
- whole prawns and lemon twists to garnish
- lemon wedges and brown bread and butter to serve
- 225g very ripe tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons concentrated tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons soured cream, quark or natural yogurt
- dash of tobasco or chilli sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Wash and pat dry the lettuce, and put it in a polythene bag and chill for an hour or two.
- 2. Meanwhile, make the sauce. Peel the tomatoes by putting in a small bowl and pouring over boiling water. Leave for a minutes, then make a small incision in each tomato and the skin should start to come away.
- 3. Cut the tomatoes in half and deseed. Put into a blender or food processor with the tomato puree, mayonnaise, soured cream, quark or yogurt, and process until well blended.
- 4. Adjust the amount of tomato puree according to the flavour of the tomatoes, and their colour. Season with a squeeze of lemon juice, a dash of Tabasco or chilli sauce to taste and freshly ground black pepper. The sauce should be a delicate pink colour.
- 5. Shred the chilled lettuce, and combine with glasses. Spoon a tablespoon or two of the sauce over each serving and garnish with whole prawns and a twist of fresh lemon.
- Serve with extra wedges of lemon and thin slices of brown bread with a little butter.
- 250g cooked small peeled prawns
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- 200g mayonnaise
- 2-3 tbsps tomato ketchup
- pinch cayenne pepper
- dash tabasco
- dash worcestershire sauce
- splash brandy
- ½ iceberg lettuce
- 1. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and carefully score each half using a small knife to create a criss-cross pattern.
- 2. Squeeze each half generously with lemon juice to prevent it from dis-colouring.
- 3. To make the Marie Rose sauce mix the mayonnaise, ketchup, cayenne pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice together in a large bowl.
- 4. Season to taste with Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, and a splash of brandy. Stir to combine.
- 5. Place a spoonful of Marie Rose sauce into the bottom of 4 serving glasses. Shred the lettuce and divide equally among the glasses. Scrape out the flesh from the avocado using a spoon and scatter over the lettuce. Spoon another layer of sauce on top.
- 6. Arrange the prawns on top and finish with a final spoonful of sauce (reserving any remaining sauce for future use). Sprinkle with a touch of cayenne pepper and garnish with a lemon wedge in each glass to serve.
- iceberg lettuce. chopped. washed
- kingsize prawns, peeled
- worcestshire sauce to mix
- 8 tbsp mayonnaise to mix
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup to mix
- lemon sliced
- Chop the lettuce up finely and add to a cocktail bowl
- In a seperate bowl mix together the mayonnaise, ketchup and worcestshire sauce. When mixed together spoon on top of lettuce.
- Arrange the prawns around the edge of the cocktail dish.
- Serve with a slice of lemon.