Roast ham recipes
Our top 3 of 12 Roast ham recipes
- Baked Ham Glazed with Honey, Orange and Ginger
- Marmalade-glazed Ham
- Honey Glazed Ham in Ginger Ale
- Recent recipes
- View all 12 variations
Baked Ham Glazed with Honey, Orange and Ginger
Views 3838, Added Mon Aug 11 2008
- 3 kg (4lb) smoked middle cut gammon
- 1 onion stuck with 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 300ml ( pint) dry white wine
- 40g (1 oz) dark brown sugar
- 100ml (4 fl oz) orange juice
- 15ml (1tbsp) clear honey
- 2.5ml ( tsp) ground ginger
- 15ml (1tbsp) Dijon mustard
- whole cloves orange slices and curly endives to garnish
- 1. Soak the ham in sufficient cold water to cover for 3 hrs, then discard the water.
- 2. Place the ham, onion stuck witn cloves, bay leaf, peppercorns and 225ml(8fl oz) of the white wine in a saucepan. Add sufficient cold water to cover. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and boil gently for 1hr.
- 3. Meanwhile, make the glaze.Place the brown sugar,30ml(2tbsp) of the orange juice, honey, ginger and mustard in a bowl and mix well.
- 4. Drain the ham. Remove the skin from the ham, score the fat into a diamond pattern, and stud with cloves. Place the ham in a baking pan and pour the remaining wine and orange juice into the pan.
- 5. Cover the ham with one-third of the glaze. Bake at 200C (500F) mark 6 for 45mins. Baste the ham with the pan juices and glaze 3-4 times during the cooking.
- 6. Discard the pan juices and serve hot or cold. Garnish with orange slices and curly endive.
- 6 kg leg of ham. on the bone
- 1 jar marmalade
- 100 ml muscat
- 3-4 cloves
- to decorate bay leaf
- 1.Preheat oven to 180C.
- 2.Rinse the ham under cold water and pat dry. 3.Use a small sharp knife to cut around the shank in a zigzag pattern. Run the knife under rind around edge of ham. Lift rind in one piece, running your fingers between rind and fat.
- 3.Trim excess fat from ham, leaving a 1cm-thick covering all over. Use a knife to score fat in a diamond pattern, 5mm deep. Stud the centres of diamonds with cloves.
- To Make the glaze
- Heat the marmalade in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until the marmalade melts and just starts to bubble. Stir in the muscat.
- 4. Brush the glaze over the ham - leave about half of the glaze to baste during baking
- 4.Pour 1 cup of water into a large roasting pan. Place ham on a wire rack in the pan. Wrap the shank in foil and bake for 30 minutes. Then take it out and baste again and bake for another 30 mins - leave to rest for 15 mins before carving.
- 600g Ham Joint (Gammon)
- 500 ml Ginger Ale
- 1 onion studded with 6 cloves
- chicken oxo cube
- cornflour blended with a little cold water
- Soak ham in water for 2 hours, afterwards discard the water.
- Place the ham in a casserole pot and cover with the ginger ale, topped up with water, until the ham is covered
- Place the clove studded onion into the liquid and boil for 1 hour
- Take ham out of the cooking liquid (keep liquid). Place ham on a baking tray and score the skin if the ham with a knife.
- Glaze the skin with honey
- Put the ham in the oven for 15 minutes on about 190 degrees celcius.
- To make the gravy use the cooking liquid, boil with a chicken oxo cube and thicken with cornflour.
- Perfect with roast potatoes and veg