Our top 3 of 4 Scouse recipes
- 2 lb Neck of lamb cubed (remove fat first)
- 1 lb Stewing or braising streak cubed (remove fat first)
- 1 Pint beef stock (plus extra hot water to topping up)
- 3 Onions peeled and sliced
- 2 lb Carrots Peeled and chopped
- 2 lb Potatoes (King Edwards or Similar floury ones) peeled and quartered
- 1. Cover meat with stock, bring to the boil, remove scum from the top, cover and simmer for one and a half to two hours until meet is tender. Topping up with hot water if required.
- 2. Add carrots, onion and potatoes, and cook until vegetables are soft, about half an hour, season.
- Serve with pickled red cabbage or beetroot
- 2LB DICED STEAK OR SHIN BEEF
- 5 LOOSE Carrots
- 1 LARGE onion chopped
- 5LB Potatoes
- 1 KETTLE FULL OF HOT WATER
- 4 Oxo beef cubes
- 1 squirt tomato puree
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- Firstly, peel the carrots, onions, potatoes then slice the carrots, dice the onions and chop the potatoes in to halfs or quaters. You will then get a large pan onto the stove, place your diced onions into the pan and then put hob on full, mix the onions with your spoon until softened, then place in your diced meat with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir both ingredients together until the meat is no longer bloody, around 15-20 mins. You should then add your kettle boiled water, mix all ingredients together with the water, then add your carrots,half of your diced potatoes and 4 oxos, then turn the heat down to low. You should put the lid on the pan for the duration of the cooking. The longer this soup cooks for the better, I tend to let it cook slowley for around 1-2 hours, about half an our before I'm going to serve it I will then put the rest of potatoes in and a teaspoon/squirt of tomatoe puree. If you don't have 2 hours then you can put all your potatoes in at once and serve after 1 hour. It will be alot thinner consitencey. The longer you leave Scouce on a low heat, the nicer and thicker it becomes. I even sometimes cook it the evening before. It's lovely served with crusty bread and beetroot.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 500g Braising Steak
- 2 Oxo beef cubes
- 6 Potatoes. medium size
- 1 Large onion
- 2 Large carrots
- 1. Cut steak into bite sized pieces and brown in a pan, then add approx a pint of water.
- 2. Bring to boil and break the oxo cubes in a cup of boiling water, stir and then add to pan and allow to simmer for an hour or until meat is tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, peel potatoes then cut into bite sized pieces along with the carrots and onion into smaller pieces.
- 4. Add these to pan once meat is tender, season and bring back to the boil and let simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are done. Stir during this time to prevent sticking.
- 5. Add a little water if necessary, and another stock cube if needed.