Our top 3 of 7 Sushi recipes
- 6 sheets nori seaweed
- 1 six-inch pickled radish
- 8 oz sushi rice
- 6 oz raw fresh salmon
- 2 tbsp. Japanese soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. Wasabi paste
- 1.Slice the pickled radish into a thin strip.
- 2.Slice the raw fresh salmon in to a slightly thicker strip and place with the soy sauce and sugar.
- 3.Drain, then coat with Wasabi paste.
- 4.Position the nori seaweed sheets on the surface you intend to eat on, and place the sushi rice on the seaweed.
- 5.Place one strip of salmon and one strip radish in the centre and roll to form sushi.
Sushi roll variations: 1.Smoked salmon 2.Raw tuna 3.Carrot 4.Asparagus 5.Eggs 6.Avocado 7.Cucumber 8.Mushrooms 9.Crab 10.Shrimps
- 2.5 cups Japanese short-grain rice
- 2.5 cups cold water
- 4 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. caster sugar
- 2 tsp ,salt
- 1.Place the rice in a colander and rinse thoroughly under the tap until the water runs clear, then drain well.
- 2.Place the rice and the cold water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- 3.Coverthe saucepan, turn the heat down to very low, and cook for 15 minutes without lifting the lid.
- 4.Turn off the heat and allow to stand 10 minutes more, still covered, then spoon the rice into a large bowl.
- 5.Mix together the vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves, then drizzle over the rice.
- 6.Mix together gently to coat the rice with the sushi vinegar, then set aside to cool.
- 7.The range of possible fillings for sushi rolls are lot.
- 8. Choose one of your favourite filling.
- 9. Spread the rice on the nori sheet.
- 10. Place your filling in the middle and roll it up.
- 4 Toasted Nori Sheets
- 2 cups Short grain brown rice or white sushi rice
- Small amount Vegetable strips such as raw cucumber, carrot, red pepper etc.
- A few spoons Sushi seasoning or Ume Plum seasoning
- A small amount Fillings such as ripe avocado, omelette, tuna, tinned wild red salmon or fresh salmon/trout, smoked cooked tofu, bean pate/hummous, chicken/meat etc.
- Soak short grain brown rice overnight or during the day. This makes it easier to digest and more nutritious. Rinse well and put into a pan with approximately an inch of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes until all the water has been absorbed or drain off excess water if necessary.
- Alternatively use white sushi rice, which is available at supermarkets and most health shops. Soak this overnight or during the day if possible and rinse well. Cook for 30 minutes. Cover with ½ inch of water and cook for 15-20 minutes and then keep covered for another 15 minutes.
- Add sushi seasoning or the Ume plum seasoning and rice vinegar to the rice and leave to go cool.
- Put a sheet of pre toasted nutritious nori on a clean dry chopping board or sushi mat shiny side down, spoon on the rice, press down to flatten leaving an inch at the bottom clear. In a horizontal line across the rice about a third down from the top place strips of filling and vegetables.
- Put some water in a small bowl and use it to moisten the inch strip of nori at the bottom of the sushi. With dry hands start to roll the sushi from the top and keeping the filling intact and press to stick the moistened nori to the rolled up sushi, press down gently and place in the fridge for around five minutes or longer.
- Take out the fridge and wet a sharp knife with cold water, slice the sushi into pieces or in half/whole instead of a sandwich.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of shoyu or tamari soya sauce, a few drops of toasted sesame oil and if you want to sweeten it up then stir in a small amount of brown rice syrup. As an alternative dip mix the mustard like wasabi powder with a small amount of water.