Vegetable moussaka recipes
Our top 3 of 4 Vegetable moussaka recipes
- 6 oz Lentils
- 5 Medium Potatoes
- 2 Medium Onions sliced
- Oil for Frying
- 2 Large Flat Mushrooms cut into
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 14 oz Tin Tomatoes
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Large Aubergine
- For the Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 10 fl oz Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1. Pre-heat to 200C
- 2. Cook lentils in plenty of boiling water until just soft - about 20 to 30 minutes.
- 3. While lentils are cooking, peel potatoes and cut into thin slices. Cover with salted water, and bring to the boil. Boil for about 20 minutes or until they are just beginning to soften.
- 3. Heat oil in a large pan and add chopped onions. Cook for a few minutes. Then add garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes and cinnamon.
- 4. When lentils are ready, drain and add to the pan. Stir well, then remove from heat.
- 5. Next, cut aubergine into thin slices, baste with a little olive oil, and roast on a medium heat for about 30 minutes, turning once.
- 6.Place the lentil mixture in an oiled oven dish. Cover the mixture with the sliced eggplant, and then with the sliced potatoes, these should cover the entire surface area.
- 7. Finally, make a white sauce. Heat the oil in a pan, stir in the flour, then gradually add in the milk. Keep stirring as the sauce thickens. Let the sauce cool, then stir in the beaten egg. Spread the sauce over the top of the moussaka.
- 8. Cover the dish, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the cover for the last ten minutes of baking.
Can be prepared in advance and cooked later. Fresh thyme can be kept in a sealed bag in the freezer - just take out what you need, when you need it!
1 CommentsAdd comment
- 1 medium (approx. 300 g) Aubergine
- 1 medium (approx. 200 g) Courgette
- 1 medium (approx. 150 g) Red onion
- 1 Pepper (red, green, yellow, orange or mix)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- A few Fresh basil leaves, torn or chopped
- 50 g Pitted olives (I use black or Kalamata)
- 2 tbsp Capers, drained from jar
- 1 X 400 g tin Chopped tomatoes
- 300 g Greek yogurt
- 50 ml Milk (any kind)
- 2 Eggs
- To season to taste Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 - 2 tbsp Thyme leaves (fresh, frozen or dried)
- 50 g Feta
- 15 - 20 g Parmesan, freshly grated
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Top and tail the aubergines and courgettes. Slice the aubergine lengthways, then slice each half lengthways again so that you end up with long strips. Slice the courgette lengthways, then slice into half moons, approx 1cm thick. Cut the pepper(s) in half lengthways, remove the seeds and stalk, and slice lengthways into strips. Peel the onion, cut it in half, and slice both halves (approx 5mm). Peel the garlic cloves, cut in half, and slice thinly. Put all these vegetables into a bowl, add the basil leaves, drizzle with the olive oil and stir well to coat everything. Season and transfer to a roasting tin. Roast in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes, stirring after each 10 minutes.
- Unless you are preparing ahead, to cook later, lower the oven temperature to 180C.
- Slice or chop the olives.
- Place half of the vegetables in a baking dish, and top with half of the olives and capers and a sprinkling of thyme. Add the tin of tomatoes, then add the rest of the roasted vegetables, olives and capers, and a little more thyme.
- In a jug, whisk the eggs, yogurt and milk together with a fork. Pour over the top, then crumble over the Feta cheese, and top with grated parmesan and a little more thyme and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet, to catch any juices that may bubble over. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 180C. The top may have puffed up a little and will be golden brown. Some of the tomato sauce may have bubbled through the top, or over the sides.
- Serve with a salad and toasted pitta bread.
Be the first to commentAdd comment
- 450g Aubergines
- 1 tin Green lentils
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove Garlic
- 225g Mushrooms (mixed)
- 1 tin (400g) Chick peas
- 1 tin (400g) Tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 2 tsp Dired herbs
- 300ml Natural yogurt
- 3 Eggs
- 50g Mature cheddar cheese
- to taste Salt pepper
- Heat 1 tbs oil in pan cook mushrooms and garlic for 5 mins.
- Stir in lentils, chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and 3 tbsp water. Bring to simmer.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas. Slice aubergine in the bottom of frying pan with remaining oil till brown on both sides (3-4 mins).
- Season the lentil mixture and arrange over the aubergines slices in the bottom of a large shallow ovenproof dish.
- beath the yogurt, eggs, salt & pepper together and pour over the dish. Sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese and bake for 45 mins. until the topping is golden brown and bubbling.