1. Cut shortening into flour with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add 1 cup milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead lightly.
3. Roll dough into rectangle. Spread the softened butter on dough, leaving a border of about 1cm.
4. Combine sugar and cinnamon, mix well, and sprinkle over butter. Top with raisins. Beginning at long side, roll up jelly roll fashion, press edges and ends together securely. Cut into slices and place cut side down in a buttered baking pan. Bake at 180C for 25 minutes.
5. Combine powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Pour over warm rolls.