Candlebridge Bakery Martell Brandy Frosted Carrot Cake
- ** My Star Tips **
1. Marinate your carrots, walnuts & sultanas in 6 tablespoons of Martell Brandy for extra booziness & add ALL to cake!
2. Remember to create the lightness in my recipes, it's important to sieve, sieve, sieve!!
3. Always sieve the muscavado sugar before you add the gently warmed oil, as sometimes that particular sugar can be a little lumpy, and sieving helps smooths things out!
4. For a Nut Brittle topping, you can add a tablespoon of castor sugar when frying the walnuts and pine nuts and leave them covered with some greaseproof paper.
5. You can always add about 3oz of chopped walnuts to this recipe when you're adding the carrots and sultanas if you like a little extra bite!
** NUT ALLERGY INFORMATION: If you have a nut allergy, then it won't make any difference to the taste or quality of this recipe, it just won't be nutty!! You will still enjoy th e smooth frosting over a deliciously moist & flavoursome cake. The walnuts are optional **
6. Remember this recipe forms the basis of producing some of the most lovliest moist muffins and just think of the fun you can have with frostings and decorating them with hundreds and thousands!! Imagination and muffin cases required if you take up this challenge!
7. The best tip for making a very very creamy luxurious seductive fabulous ... oh stop... concentrate... The best tip for making a creamy frosting is to MELT THE BUTTER and then add it to the sugar... it's quicker and it has a shinier effect... it also MELTS IN THE MOUTH...
8. If you find 2.5 oz butter isn't quite enough for your icing, then melt a little more (no more than an ounce) too much butter and your icing will become greasy.
9. The lovely thing about this cake is that the has the capacity to mature over a few days! I say a "few days" as it's so nice, it won't last any longer once you try it!
10. A lovely alternative to a nutty topping is a chocolate and orange topping. Simply grate some of your favourite chocolate and decorate your cake and add some grated zest of orange & slices of mandarin for a little extra fruitiness and colour! You can also shake over a little nutmeg if you like. The options are endless!!
11. If you are serving this cake as a dessert, then I would suggest serving it with my special cream cheese frosting.
Candlebridge Cream Cheese Frosting
1 small tub of Philadelphia cream cheese
6oz sieved icing sugar
3oz of melted butter
1 tablespoon natural orange essence *
1 tablespoon natural lemon essence *
a)Sieve the icing sugar into a large bowl.
b)Add the cream cheese
c)Melt the butter, add the orange and lemon essence
d)Now mix all your ingredients together until it's smooth and creamy with a slight runny texture
e)Spoon on to your carrot & brandy cake and if it starts to fall down the sides of your cake, just let it fall.
f)Top with walnuts, nutmeg, grated zest of orange & good quality chocolate.
** I recommend Martell VS Brandy for a strong brandy taste, but if you prefer something milder, then I would suggest Hennessy Brandy.
Comments Add your comment
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 6 ¼ oz Light Muscovado Sugar (175g)
- 6 ¼ oz Self Raising Flour (175g)
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- FRUIT & VEGETABLES!
- 6oz Grated Carrots (140g)
- 3 ½ oz Sultanas (100g)
- OIL INGREDIENTS
- 175mls Corn or Sunflower Oil
- 3 Large Farmhouse Eggs Beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Martell VS Brandy
- 1 Tablespoon Natural Orange Essence
- 1 Teaspoon Natural Vanilla Essence
- CREAMY FROSTING AND NUTTY TOPPING
- 6 ¼ oz Icing Sugar (175g)
- 2 Tablespoon Natural Orange Essence
- 1 Tablespoon Natural Lemon Essence
- 2½ oz Butter
- 5oz Chopped Walnuts (2oz for Topping!) (*optional)
- 1oz Pine Nuts
- THE MAGICAL INGREDIENT
- 1 ½ Tablespoon Ground Mixed Spice
- Bottle of Martell VS Brandy