01. Right so! You'll need an extra large size casserole dish (make sure it has a lid!)
02. Start peeling the onions, halving and quartering them - put them in the casserole dish
03. Next peel the carrots, top and tail the ends and cut into chunks - put them in the casserole dish with the onion.
04. Take your measuring jug and crumble in the OXO cubes and brown sugar, add 500mls of boiled water and stir.
05. Add the stock to the onions and carrots and give it a stir around!
06. Add your herbs and spices - At this point - Preheat your oven to 160oC
07. Take your frying pan, pour in a little olive oil, salt, pepper and fry the lamb cubes until they're browned on all sides.
08. Add the browned lamb to the casserole and give it a little stir around!
09. In the same frying pan, fry the potatoes until they are brown and starting to crisp and then pour them (the full contents of the frying pan, the oil, potatoes) into your casserole.
10. Give everything a little gentle stir around.
11. Finally, take your measuring jug and fill to 350ml freshly boiled water, place a sieve over the jug and gently sieve a tablespoon and quarter of cornflour in and start stirring gently until it nice and cloudy and add to the casserole and stir through with all the lovely vegetables and lamb. Now, put that lid on!
12.When your oven is preheated, place your casserole with the lid on in the middle shelf.
13. Set your timer for 1hr
14. Now when that oven goes "Ding", raise the oven temperature to 180oC and bake for a further 33 mins until the potatoes and and carrots are tender.
15. Now, when that oven goes "Ding", this is the time to put the bread in the oven to bake for a period of 12 mins - this is all to do with timing of serving the fresh hot baked bread at the same time with the casserole .. Just start imagining the butter on the bread melting and then dunking it in the beautiful hot spiced gravy ...
** Original Recipe by L. Shannon - The Candlebridge Bakery & Restaurant - 28th November 2012 **
|Cornflour, Sieved||1 ¼ Tablespoon|
|Demerara Brown Sugar||2 Tablespoons|
|Dried Rosemary||2 Shakes|
|Ground Dried Garlic||3 Shakes|
|Ground Paprika||2 Shakes|
|Dried Oregano||2 Shakes|
|Ground Black Pepper||3 Shakes|
|Ground Mild Chilli||3 Shakes|
|Dried Parsley||3 Shakes|
|Large Onions, Peeled, Halved And Quartered||3|
|Large Potatoes, Peeled, Halved And Quartered||6|
|Large Carrots, Washed, Peeled And Cut Into Chunks||5|
|Prime Lamb, Cubed To Bite Size Chunks (1')||2lbs|
Oils & Liquids
|Freshly Boiled Water||850ml|
|Light Olive Oil|
The Secret Ingredients
|Ground Mixed Spice||4 Tablespoons|
|Ground Cinnamon||3 Tablespoons|
|Oxo Beef Cubes, Crumbled||2|
|Oxo Vegetable Cubes, Crumbled||2|