1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/350F/gas 4. Grease a 30cm x 20cm x 5cm baking tin and line with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the egg, then fold in the flour mixed with the baking powder.
3. Flatten the mixture into the tin using the back of a spoon and bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 30 minutes.
4. For the filling, spread the cooled base with the jam.
5. Heat a frying pan over a high heat. Add the sugar to the pan and melt to form a caramel, swirling all the time. Add the rum, then whisk in the butter. Add the banana slices and toss gently until coated and caramelised. Layer on top of the raspberry jam, then place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. For the custard, put the milk in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, custard powder and an extra splash of milk together until smooth. Pour a little of the hot milk on to the egg mixture, whisk well, then add it back to the hot milk. Cook the custard over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very thick.
7. Pour the custard on top of the bananas, sprinkle with the coconut, then refrigerate for 30-40 minutes until set.
|Medium Free-range Egg Beaten||1|
|Caster Or Granulated Sugar||100g|
|Unsalted Butter Softened||150g|
|Semi-skimmed Or Whole Milk||750ml|
|Medium Free-range Yolks||4|
|Ripe Bananas Sliced||4|
|Unsalted Butter (about 40g)||2tbsp|
|Caster Or Granulated Sugar||2tbsp|
Back in 1957, research chemist William Mitchell patented Pop Rocks. And, in 1975 to the amazement of the public, this fizzing, popping and mouth-tingling sensation was introduced in the States. After ... keep reading
Minerally, unoaked with lemon and apple fruit character, delicate and well balanced. Founded in 1859 this label has become the reliable stamp of quality and consistency. The Maconnais is located in the Southern part of Burgundy, close to the famous Cote d'Or a region ideal for growing Chardonnay. Buy this wine if you like: Chardonnay with mineral freshness and delicate friut.