Prep: 15 mins Cook: 30 mins Serves 4 as a main course or 6 as a side dish
Price per portion: 73p (to serve 4)
Per serving: 669 calories, 32.1g fat, 18g saturates, 1.5g salt
Counts as 3 of your 5-a-day and contains over a third of your RDA of vitamin C, calcium and folic acid
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas Mark 6. Place the stock in a large pan and bring to the boil, add the carrots, parsnips and new potatoes, cover, return to the boil and simmer for 15mins or until they are tender. Stir in the leeks and peas, return the stock to the boil then remove from the heat.
2. Drain the stock and reserve. Place the vegetables in an ovenproof dish. Discard 300ml/1/2pt of the stock, return the rest to the pan. Mix the cornflour to a smooth paste with a little cold water and stir into the stock with the creme fraiche and tarragon.
3. Bring the mixture to the boil, stirring until you have a smooth creamy sauce. Simmer for 1 min. Pour the sauce over the vegetables and season well.
4. Place all the topping ingredients in a food processor with a good pinch of salt and ground black pepper; whizz together until they resemble fine breadcrumbs. (if you havent got a food processor then rub the butter into the flour, then stir in the mustard and cheese and rub together again until you have a crumbly mixture).
5. Scatter the mixture over the top of the vegetables then bake for 20 mins or until the top is golden brown. Serve as a vegetarian main course or vegetable side dish.
For more delicious recipes check out www.britishcarrots.co.uk.
For the pie
|Vegetable Stock||1.2 Ltr/2pts|
|Carrots, Peeled And Sliced||450g/1lb|
|Parsnips, Peeled, Halved And Sliced||225g/8oz|
|Small New Potatoes, Halved||350g/12oz|
|Leeks, Cleaned And Sliced||2|
For the topping
|Cheddar Cheese, Grated||75g/3oz|
The fish cake is a very versatile food, much like a croquette, the fish cake is a potato patty mixed with one or various fish and bread crumbed, battered and fried. The original fish cakes were made u... keep reading
This beautiful rose wine is made entirely from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, fruit driven, refreshing with abundance of berry flavours and a pleasant long finish.