Preheat oven to 190 C or gas 5.
Grease baking tray.
In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, salt, sugar and butter and then stir in the buttermilk and egg.
Put on a lightly floured table and knead lightly to form a round ball.
Place on baking tray.
For the Glaze:
In a small bowl combine melted butter and milk and brush loaf.
Mark with an X on the top.
Bake in middle of oven for 40-45 mins.
Quick way to make the buttermilk yourself for your Easy Irish Soda Bread -
You will need:
- Just under one cup of milk
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice
1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.
3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.
Have heavy cream in the fridge? If so, you have everything you need to make real buttermilk: