1. In a large mixing bowl, pour the spirits (whiskey and brandy)
2. Add the fruit and nuts and mixed peel
3. Add the vanilla sugar
4. Crumble in the muscavado sugar
5. Now give it all a nice stir around, nice and gently, make your Christmas Wish!
6. Now add your spices and stir all your ingredients together
7. Melt your butter and add your golden syrup and stir it together and then pour over all your ingredients and blend it through
8. Now add your orange, rum and almond essence and stir together. You can pre-heat your oven now to 140oC
9. Beat the eggs gently and pour over your ingredients and stir them well but gently
10. Next step, we fold in the sieved flour, two tablespoons at a time.
11. Final step - we divide the mixture between our two tins/dishes and smooth the mixture into the edges
12. Bake in the middle shelf of your oven at 140oC for 1hr 18 minutes.
13. Remove from the oven and leave in the tins until cold before frosting!
Now if you prefer to use royal icing or fondant icing, that's perfectly fine but I just happen to have some extra pre-rolled white fondant icing and natural marzipan.
A) Melt 2 tablespoon2 of Lyles Golden Syrup and brush over your cakes
B) Pour about 3 tablespoons of whiskey or brandy into a little cup and brush over the cake
C) Lay your rolled marzipan on top of the cake and gently press down and trim off any excess
D) Brush the top of the marzipan with more melted Golden syrup and whiskey or brandy
E) Lay your rolled fondant icing on top of the cake and gently press down and trim off any excess
F) Cut into slices and arrange on a plate for serving!
*Original Recipe by L. Shannon. The Candlebridge Bakery & Soup Kitchen ~ Monday, 31st December 2012
|Large Farmhouse Eggs (Room Temperature & Beaten)||3|
|White Soft Ready-To-Roll Fondant Icing||1 Packet|
|Natural Marzipan (non Coloured)||1 Packet|
|Lyles Golden Syrup|
Equipment You Will Need
|8' X 6' X 1'||2 Tins/Oven Baking Dishes|
|Mixing Bowl||1 Large|
|Natural Orange Essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Rum Essence||2 Teaspoons|
|Natural Almond Essence||3 Teaspoons|
Fruit & Nuts
|Dessicated Coconut (Unsweetened)||5oz|
|Walnuts (halved & Quartered)||1oz|
Spirits & Syrup
|Lyles Golden Syrup||1 Tablespoon|
Sugar & Spice
|Ground Nutmeg||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground Ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground Cloves||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground Mixed Spice||3 Tablespoons|
|Dark Brown Muscavado Sugar||3oz|
|Light Brown Muscavado Sugar||3oz|
1. When working with Golden syrup or Treacle, always boil the kettle and pour some boiling hot water into a little cup and dip your teaspoon or tablespoon in before you dip into the syrup or treacle, it will slide off the spoon so much easier!
2. Remember, preheating an oven to 140oC won't take that long, so for economical reasons and preserving energy, wait till you're at the half way point of this recipe before you preheat your oven!